14 April 2009

Only Hope

Pastor Joshua said, "We have been placed on a path between the cross and the resurrection."

This was basically the toughest time the disciples had to face. Jesus was dead, and the Holy Spirit had not come upon them yet. Sure they knew his promise to rise from the dead in 3 days, but that was less convincing after they watched him being beaten and hung and bleeding to death. Stabbed too. Jesus was so dead. Now what?


There was this little hope of him rising on the third day. He said it. Sure they believed that would be what happens ultimately, but how could it happen? They knew what the finishing point was, but they had absolutely no idea how it could be done.


Good Friday.

I knelt before the cross in my room that was revealed to me when i asked God if medicine was my direction and cried out to him, "How?" I was sure of his final direction in my life, but i was on the path between the cross and the resurrection. I knew what he wanted to do with me, i took up the sword and the path, but door after door was closed. Time after time i failed. I had no idea how i could possibly reach that end point. I wrote this a while ago:



Even the best fall down sometimes

So Aragorn took up the sword Anduril,
Left Theoden's camp,
And headed down the path of the dead.

He took up his destiny
Committed himself to the path
And gave it everything he had

He faced the army of the dead,
Fought their king,
and overcame.


Yet he failed to summon their army to fight
He failed to halt the enemy's reinforcements

And as he looked upon the black ships
Soon to enter battle against Theoden's already doomed army
He fell on his knees
And wept.




But what i didn't write was that out of nowhere (through a wall actually), came the King of the Dead saying, "We fight."

Out of nowhere, Jesus appeared to his disciples (who locked themselves in a room) saying, "Peace be with you."

Out of nowhere, an email appeared in my mailbox (just 2 days before the selection tests) saying, "We are pleased to inform you that you have been shortlisted for an interview by the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine."



I found myself on the floor again, kneeling before that cross that i had only seen for the third time in my life. It had been 3 days since i cried out to God on Good Friday in this same position. This time i just cried.



Aragorn had not won the war or claimed the throne yet. The disciples had not received the Holy Spirit or started the church yet. I have not gone for the interview or gotten into Medicine yet.

But we are happy, because now at least there's some hope of that happening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home