05 September 2006

The Collective Unconscious

Ever came across a situation in which you were thinking of or started talking about someone and then the person just happens to step into the room?


The collective unconscious is the name of a theory coined by Carl Jung. It seems he was listening to a woman in his office talk about a dream she had when a beetle flew in. He read this apparition as a representation of the woman's fear of beetles. And well... she actually dreamt of beetles. And she actually was afraid of them.


Have you ever had a song cross your mind just before it starts playing on the radio?


Honestly I applaud Jung for taking notice of the coincidences that we all experience but never really think twice about. But what is his explanation? According to Jung, everything happens for a reason- thus there is a greater something that causes everything in the world to happen. And that is The Collective Unconscious.


Have you heard the phone ring and just know who it was before answering the call? Even when it was from someone who does not normally call you?


But seriously... Is that really the best mankind can do to explain the phenomenon of everything happening for a reason? Has mankind come so close to the truth only to be blinded from it by their closed minds? I don't normally challenge people like this, but this time it's not a matter of opinions, but of debating truth against theory. From what I've seen... I can daringly say... I can explain the "coincidences" better than the Collective Unconscious ever can.


Let me tell you what happened to me last night- this is one of the many events that proved that everything really happens for a reason... And the reason is awfully clear.


At the end of last year, I made presents for almost everyone I knew. To ensure I had everyone accounted for, I wrote everyone's names on "post it"s. After Christmas, I had a few "post it"s left or my wall... people who I had not gotten presents for or people who I had not been able to see to pass them their presents. One of these people was named Fiona.


Fiona's "post it" had fallen off the wall onto my table.


It was past 1 a.m. on the 3rd of September 2006 and I was tired... I sieved through the mess of my table searching for things I needed bring to church the next day. I tried to put my files in order and stuck the post it with Fiona's name back on the wall.


Fiona's "post it" fell off the wall onto my table.


It took a while to notice, but when I did I got a little annoyed and picked it up again. I was tired, and just as I was about to press it back against the wall I remembered Fiona...


3 nights ago I was talking to her online. She was having some problems but was hesitant to share. Yeah... It had been a long time since I spoke to her like this so the relationship was not as close. Anyhow she had asked me to pray that she would be protected from the lies and deceit of the evil one. I said I would and asked her to pray too... and kneel while at it.


Something... or someone... was trying to tell me something...


As I held the ''post it", I said a prayer and asked that the sign be really clear; that if something wrong was happening on Fiona's side that the "post it" would fall again. I then pasted it back on firmly. After packing my bag, I turned the lights off and went to bed.


But I could not sleep.


Something was bothering me and I just could not sleep. I thought it was stress from the coming exam, but suddenly I realized that I had heard a soft but significant sound in my room a moment before. I jumped out of bed and switched on my room light.


Fiona's "post it" had fallen off the wall.


The peculiar thing was that this time it got trapped by another note- one written by my teacher. But I knew this was a message from above. I prayed, whipped out my phone and sent an sms at 1:30am, saying that I sensed something was wrong and that I was praying. The time mattered not to me for I was absolutely sure this was a situation that called for the action.


Then I could sleep.




Just after my alarm clock went off in the morning, an sms came in...

Oh man... You were right




Me? Right? No... The Collective Unconscious helped me.


Mankind, is that really the best you can do? Your greatest thinkers can affirm that there is a greater power over all the Earth but deny that He is a conscious being that bothers about us? So close... Yet so far away.


At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.
- Matthew 11:25



For one little girl who knew God, the world was still yet to be saved, but there was hope. For another Carl Jung who knew only The Collective Unconscious, there was no hope, and sadly he eventually lost his mind.


Pick a side.




Oh and one more thing… One day after I penned this down, a question on the study of Literature (the subject in which I first heard of The Collective Unconscious) came out in my General Paper examination. And I did the question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home