21 December 2005

The First Step

Often, the most difficult thing for someone to do in helping someone else is take the first step. The rest really just comes naturally. In other words, anyone can sense pain and suffering, but only a few are able to respond.



Just yesterday, I was in the bathroom in McDonalds. This little boy came in after me and used the urinal next to mine. As I was washing my hands, he went into the only cubicle in the tiny toilet, but walked out half a second later. This little guy looked lost- and I thought I knew why; He wanted use the sink but could not reach the tap.



I looked in his direction to see if my hypothesis was true. He looked back at me, and his eyes confirmed my suspicions. Most people don't take the first step for because they fear rejection. It is painful, no doubt, but don't let that stop you from helping those who really are in need. Look deeper into the situation, don't just ignore. There was another man in the toilet, which would have made rejection so much more embarrassing and the fear of that so real. But I made up my mind; GuardiAngel to the rescue.



I looked at the boy again, but this time, my eyes told him to come forward, and I moved my body aside while holding the tap running for him.


He looked at me, and came forward. We both left the restaurant together and I saw him reunited with his mother outside. For one little boy, I had saved the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home