08 August 2009

Missions Festival 2009

I'm not going to tell you about the events of today.


But i'm going to write about 2 things i learnt.


First, during worship, as we sang "lift up your head, open the doors, let the king of glory come in," and i envisioned opening my door and seeing Jesus there, and giving him a great big hug, i realised something about one of the stories i had written.


I have been writing a book for some time, but i'm stuck. People often analyze other's writing, and when they are not sure what it's intended to mean, they ask the author. But how was it that in analyzing my own text, i suddenly saw a very different interpretation i never intended? Who could i ask?


What was the significance of this revelation during worship then? I didn't know, but what scared me was that the lead character was supposed to be me. But this i didn't know this about him. He was a missionary.


Second, when they made the call to commitment. Give 2 years of your life to God in missions. I felt God call me to the ends of the earth, but when the call for commitment came, i hesitated. I really could not take the step forward. Because there was something at the back of my mind holding me.


There was nothing that i could love more than God. Yet to give up something so dear for his will was excruciating. But i was given a verse and it gave me strength and i hurried forward to sign my name.


Seek ye first the kingdom of God.


Abraham was asked by God to sacrifice Issac his only son. I was always intrigued at the long journey they made to the mountain, at how increasingly torn Abraham must have been. Yet in the end, Abraham still managed to surrender Issac up to the Lord, and was ready to lose him in the sacrifice. And i managed to do that today. Sure it might not have been something as precious as a son to Abraham, but it was something i treasured so much. Leaving everything behind, i walked forward and signed my name to make the commitment.


To Abraham, Issac was lost. But God meant to test the faithfulness of Abraham, and when he proved faithful, God rewarded Abraham with Issac whom he had given up to the Lord. Abraham seeked the kingdom of God first and foremost, over everything else.


And all these things were added unto him.


I didn't expect that when i went up; to gain through loss. I just wanted to seek first his will. But in the end, all these things were added unto me. Hallelujah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home